Getting Your Financial Ducks In A Row Rotating Header Image

Medicare Part B

English: image edited to hide card's owner nam...

English: image edited to hide card’s owner name. author: Arturo Portilla (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The next letter in our Medicare alphabet soup is Part B. Part B is essentially medical insurance that covers doctor’s services, outpatient care, home health services, and durable medical equipment. It will also cover some other services as well as well as many preventative services.

As far as what doctors will and will not cover Part B depends on whether or not they have agreed to assignment. Assignment is simply your doctor or another health care provider agreeing to be paid directly by Medicare and be willing to accept the payment amount that Medicare decides is the value of the service. Agreement also means the doctor or health care provider cannot charge you any more than what the deductible and coinsurance amounts are.

The basic cost for Medicare Part B for 2013 is $104.90 monthly. Individuals with higher AGI may end up paying more. The table below, courtesy of Medicare.gov shows the increased amount based on AGI.

If your yearly income in 2011 was You pay (in 2013)
File individual tax return File joint tax return
$85,000 or less $170,000 or less $104.90
above $85,000 up to $107,000 above $170,000 up to $214,000 $146.90
above $107,000 up to $160,000 above $214,000 up to $320,000 $209.80
above $160,000 up to $214,000 above $320,000 up to $428,000 $272.70
above $214,000 above $428,000 $335.70

The standard deductible for Medicare Part B is $147 for 2103. Once the deductible is met, then any covered individual will pay 20% of any covered service. Medicare will pick up the other 80%. This is all that someone will pay out of pocket for services under a doctor or provider who has an agreement with Medicare. A person may end up paying more if their doctor is not in agreement.

Part B does not cover long term care nor does it cover custodial care. Other excluded services include routine dental and eye care, acupuncture, hearing aids and exams, and elective cosmetic surgery.

To enroll in Part B, you can ether choose to enroll or you may have been automatically enrolled. If you’re already receiving Social Security benefits then you’re automatically enrolled in Part A and B unless you decide to opt out of Part B. Possible reasons you may want to delay Part B coverage would be in the case of if you already have benefits through current employment or a union agreement.

Generally, should you choose to enroll in Part B, you’re allowed to do during the open enrollment periods. Usually you have 8 months to sign up for Part B coverage. Failure to sign up within the 8 month window may lead to you paying a penalty to sign up outside of the enrollment period.

Signing up for Part B also allows you and qualifies you to become eligible for a one-time 6 month open enrollment period for getting a Medigap policy. What does this mean? This means that you now have a guaranteed right to purchase a Medigap policy in your state regardless of your health status. We’ll talk about Medigap in a future article.

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 Comments

  1. AnneNo Gravatar says:

    Hi Jim; the article says : one can enroll or if one is collecting SSA Retirement benefits; one is “automatically enrolled”; the average cost Medicare Part B is $104 monthly; Question: How does the Gov. bill SSA Beneficiaries the $104? “deduct from SSA check ?
    Anne/Conn.

    1. sraskieNo Gravatar says:

      Hi Anne,

      If you’re currently collecting benefits, your premium is automatically deducted. If you’re not currently collecting benefits, then you have to manually pay. Thanks for reading!

      sr

      1. AnneNo Gravatar says:

        Thank you SR…very improtant info…will forward to others…ar
        I look forward to reading more articles on “Medicare + Medicaid; esp. how correlate to Pres. Obamah’s “Health Care Reform…” thnx!

        1. sraskieNo Gravatar says:

          You’re welcome!

Leave a Reply