Getting Your Financial Ducks In A Row Rotating Header Image

The Making Work Pay Credit

red and green holiday chocolate candies by Rainbow PhotosMany (or most) working taxpayers will be eligible to receive a special credit on their 2010 tax return, called the Making Work Pay Credit.  The IRS has recently produced their Tax Tip 2011-15 which explains five important provisions about the Making Work Pay Credit:

  1. The Making Work Pay Credit provides a refundable tax credit of up to $400 for individuals and up to $800 for married taxpayers filing joint returns.
  2. Most workers received the benefit of the Making Work Pay Credit through larger paychecks, reflecting reduced federal income tax withholding during 2010.
  3. Taxpayers who file Form 1040 or 1040A will use Schedule M to figure the Making Work Pay Tax Credit.  Completing Schedule M will help taxpayers determine whether they have already received the full credit in their paycheck or are due more money as a result of the credit.
  4. Taxpayers who file Form 1040-EZ should use the worksheet for Line 8 on the back of the 1040-EZ to figure their Making Work Pay Credit.
  5. You cannot take the credit if your modified adjusted gross income is $95,000 for individuals or $190,000 if married filing jointly or more, you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, you do not have a valid Social Security number or if you are a nonresident alien.

Be on the lookout for this important provision as you prepare your return for 2010.

Photo by Rainbow Photos!

Get involved!

Discover more from Getting Your Financial Ducks In A Row

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading